Sunday, February 19, 2012

Grandma's Meatloaf

My grandmother was one of the best country cooks that I have ever known. In the 26 years of my life, she never had any teeth, drank like a fish, smoked like a freight train, and loved her family with all of her heart. She died in 2010, at the young age of 65. Prior to her passing, I was extremely privileged to have her live with me so that I could take care of her, and in return, she showed me some of her most awesome recipes that had been passed down for many years. This is one of my favorites. 


What You Will Need


3lbs of Hamburger
2 Eggs
1 can of Vegtable Soup
Half a pack of crackers
Two Pieces of bread
3/4 cup Katsup
1/2 cup BBQ Sauce
1 Pack Dry Onion Mix
Dash of Garlic Powder
1/2 Onion (diced)


Preparation


In a bowl, throw all of this stuff together, and mix it with your hands until everything is well blended together. For the Katsup and BBQ Sauce, I'm guessing since I was always taught to just go by sight as to how you add ingredients (the true country way), but I do know that the ratio of Katsup to BBQ Sauce should be slightly more. The bread and crackers help hold the meatloaf together, so it's important that you have those two things in there, or your meatloaf will fall to pieces. 


Put all of your stuff in a casserole dish or aluminum baking pan. It should look something like this ....



Make sure you compact everything tightly together so it doesn't start to fall apart while baking. 

Set your oven to 375, put in oven uncovered, and bake for an hour, or until hamburger is cooked through. 

Make sure you check on your meatloaf every so often and drain any grease that is accumilating in the bottom. Some people use a turkey baster, and others (like me) drag the pan out and tip it over the garbage disposal to drain. However you want to do it. Just please don't drop your meatloaf in the sink. :)

After Hamburger is cooked through, take it out of the oven, and put some katsup on top (mustard also, if you prefer), and let it sit for about 20 minutes to cool off and mesh together. It should look something like this when its done. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment