Sunday, March 4, 2012

Grandma's Deviled Eggs

Before my grandma passed away, she taught me how to make her Deviled Eggs. I know there are different variations of this recipe (some people add paprika, some people add relish) .... my grandma was a firm believer in "not adding unneeded sh*t" :) Her's was really simple, but very yummy. 

What You Need

A Dozen Eggs
Mayonnaise 
Mustard 
Pepper


What You Do

Get a large pot and fill it with water. Place eggs in there, and let them boil for about 20-25 minutes. 


Once they are boiled, remove the pot and drain the water. Peel the eggs. I always peel them under cold water, because the shell comes off easier. Set them to the side on a plate. 

Once they are all peeled, get your knife and cut the eggs in half (long ways). Take the cooked yoke in the middle and put it in a separate container. You can use a spoon to gently scoop it out, or you can just lightly shake the egg upside down so that it falls out. Set the empty egg whites to the side on the plate (or in your deviled egg container)


I made these the night before my grandma's funeral. So while I was cooking, I had her picture on the stove with me while I cooked. 

So take your cooked yoke and add your mayonnaise and mustard. Like I've said previously, I've never been one to measure anything. I go by looks and taste, rather than exact measurement. You definitely want more mayonnaise than mustard. I'd say three tablespoons of mayo, 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard. Add a dash of pepper, and mix up the cooked yoke until it is mixed well, mashed up, and grainy. Taste the mixture to make sure you like it. If you don't, add more of whichever you feel like is missing. I usually always have to add more mayonnaise, just because I'm not a big fan of the mustard taste.  


Next, you want to spoon the mixture into each egg so that it covers the inside, and runs over the top just a bit. Make sure you mixture isn't too runny. You want it to have some substance, and be a little grainy, just so the consistency holds. 


And they are done! I like them cold the best, so I usually refrigerate for a few hours before I eat them.

If you like paprika or relish, feel free to add it into your yoke mixture. I'm just not a big fan of that stuff, and I have always loved the way my grandma made them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment